How Do I Get Medical Treatment Paid for Before the Insurance Settlement?

A traffic accident can seriously disrupt your life. Especially when you are injured in the accident, the doctor’s bills, time off work, pain, and discomfort can make it seem like things will never be normal again. Worse, if there is a dispute about who is at fault, it could take months to receive the compensation you need to pay for your medical treatment.

So what is an injured person supposed to do in the meantime? You still need medical treatment, and your doctors and pharmacists expect to be paid.

In this situation, there are two types of insurance that might be able to help.

General Health Insurance: Your personal health insurance may be able to cover your medical bills while you’re waiting for the automobile insurance settlement. Your health insurance company will want to know the cause of the injury, and may seek to be reimbursed out of the settlement, but don’t overlook this option to take care of your medical bills right after the accident.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Insurance: In the State of Washington, automobile insurance companies must offer you PIP insurance as part of your insurance policy. In fact, if you don’t want PIP, you have to reject it in writing. Though there are some limitations to PIP insurance (see our previous post on PIP), it can be a valuable addition to your automobile insurance policy. I highly recommend obtaining the valuable insurance.

When you’re injured in an accident, the last thing you need is stress over how to pay for your medical bills. If you’re having trouble getting your insurance to pay for your doctor’s bills, the personal injury attorneys at Duce Bastian Peterson have the experience to help you understand your policies, help prove who was at fault, and to get you the compensation you need and deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.